//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Mods for an 86 ATC250R

--

Mods for an 86 ATC250R

I just bought my first ATC ( a convert from the ATV world). I've always ridden Honda 250r's, so an 86 atc250r was the most logical choice. I got a great deal on a totally stock 86 250r with only 1 rebuild on it. The stock setup is nice, but I'm a big boy (225 lbs) and the stock suspension is a bit light for me.

How can I go about setting up the front fork for jumping ( I do a lot of dune riding). I hear I can run any shock off of an 86 TRX250r, including ELKA and Works.

I'd also like to pipe the bike and maybe run a cool head and reeds, but I must admit, I like the way the stocker sips fuel. Who makes a pipe other than FMF.

One more thing while I'm at it, anyone have a suggestion for a FRONT sand tire. I'm gonna pick up a pair of ITP's new SandStar rears.

Thanks

--
    Blog Entries
    FMF's are decent (I own one) but for what you're describing, I'd get a Paul Turner.

--
    Buy a set of Progressive fork springs from www.denniskirk.com to stiffen up the front.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...Id=&leafCatId=

I've heard good things about LRD exhausts.
    My Feedback 85 TECATE 500 08 Honda 450R

--
    You can have your stock rear shock revalved from WORKS, & I think they're near you somewhere too. I had mine done by them for a 190lb rider, extended swinger, and they also asked me for my primary kind of ride'n, so Dune was IT (not sure what they do with that kind of info but hey...). They put on a stiffer Eibach spring, I think that was more for the longer swinger and the whole thing cost around $340 ish. That was $200 less than getting a new one set up close to that, so thats what I'd do.

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Get your rear shock rebuilt if it hasn't had it done before (Chances are it hasn't and needs it) Get some progressive springs as BigGreenMachine mentioned, and grab a little bit thicker shock oil. Something in the 10-15wt range. If you've got the cash, you can't go wrong with an aftermarket rear shock from a company like Works, Elka, Axis, ect. Your about the same size as me, and I'm gonna be going with a similar setup on my Tri-Z soon.

The thing about the suspension on these things is not necessarily that thier poor in quality or design compared to the quads, its just their alot older and more then likely not maintained good enough to keep up with the age.

As far as pipes, I have an ESR on my trx250r and I love it. But for an ATCR you'll get a real kick in the pants with a Paul Turner (Duncan Racing) topend pipe if thats the kind of power your looking for.

--
    Hey thanks guys. I contacted ELKA. A dual rate remote reservoir rear shock is, get ready for this, $820.00 plus shipping. DAYAM! The rebuild by WORKS is sounding better by the minute. I'll be ordering my progressive springs first (I may have to wait a paycheck or two, I splurged on a new set of riding boots and a camelback).

Anyone have a suggestion for a front sand tire? I'm still thinking a Cheveron shaped (V) paddle for the rear to make it a little easier to cut up the dunes. ITP's new sandstars are supposed to be good. They weight about 8 lbs a tire and you can get a set on Douglas black labels for $170.00.

--
    V PADDLE IS A NO! i run the skat trak haulers and the kendra dune runners great affordable tires also front tire run a sand skark front (i think thats the name of it) it has a bunch of bumbs as the rib looks sorta like a sprocket to me.
    but the straight paddles give yah better slide in bowls and better straight line pullin power
    adam
    with tires and rims and filled the haulers way 25 together azhondagrl has the sand stars on itp rims and they way 50 together gezz.
    86 ATC 500R the duner..
    85 ATC 500R...the not quite finished faster duner
    1985 ATC 250R Bone stock!!
    1985 ATC250R mx/duner
    1986 TRX370R MX/Duner
    94 Banshee 400PV Cheetah 105RWHP

--
    Quote Originally Posted by badpig121
    Anyone have a suggestion for a front sand tire?
    If your dune'n dry sand than ANY front tire is just fine, well cept for a baldie but ask me about that later. Once you hit some tacky wet sand then you'll want less tread, to keep from throw'n all that heavy sand right into your lap. I just got a Skat Mowhawk front, that just has one row of knobbies around the middle and will be run'n it next week. I'm bet'n it'll be like having "power steering" over the baldie I used the last two seasons.

--

Eibach high rate spring link

Here's a link to the Eibach high rate spring that fits our 250R stock shock. Looks like it'll go for a decent price & should be what you want to rebuild yours with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43974

Quote Originally Posted by AZ250R
    Here's a link to the Eibach high rate spring that fits our 250R stock shock. Looks like it'll go for a decent price & should be what you want to rebuild yours with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43974
    I've been searching for that Eibach spring today with no luck, can anyone steer me in the right direction...
    1985 350x
    1985 350x
    1985 250r
    200 auto x
    1984 250r
    1982 250r
    85 Tecate
    86 Tri Z
    85 TRI Z
    98Wolverine
    99TRX 300

I need a 86 250r Headlight lens!!!! Hook me up!!!!

Westcoasters check out the Florence ride....

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...ad.php?t=42267

--
    Buy a extra set of forks (to keep as spares when you bend yours), add a fork brace, & progressive springs or just put on inverted forks (new technology) best for jumping.
    3 CR500R's and counting. Do I really need 4???
    Do I really need 9 Tigers?
    Laegers ATC500R
    DO NOT send any thing to whats his face (dirt-face/crasher) here on the board. What a scum bag. He screwed (stole) money from me and screwed me on my ME360 and Hondaline 300R engine rebuilds.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 Turbo Coupe
    Buy a extra set of forks (to keep as spares when you bend yours), add a fork brace, & progressive springs or just put on inverted forks (new technology) best for jumping.
    Maybe you're speaking from real life crashing experience here 88 Turbo Coupe, because a 250R's forks don't bend from jumping, they bend from crashing! A fork brace won't do a thing and you can't "just put on" new technology inverted forks. Doing so is a major undertaking that requires precision machine work and custom made parts.

Badpig, have your shock rebuilt and valved for your weight and riding style. Rebuild the forks, replace the seals if they're leaking and use 20w, 25w or 30w fork oil and see if that works for you. They probably need rebuilding anyway and for about $30, this might solve your problem. If it still needs to be set up heavier, you can always add the new springs later. If not, you'll be money ahead and can put it towards your pipe and reeds.
    Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 05-08-2005 at 12:21 PM.
    Current Ride (Purchased new in Oct. 84) - 1985 Honda ATC 250R w/ ESR 310cc big bore kit
    Wife's Ride - 2009 Polaris RZR 800
    Kid's Rides - 2009 Yamaha Raptor 700, 2008 Yamaha Raptor 250
    Former Rides - 1975 Honda XR 75, 1979 Yamaha IT 175, 1978 Honda ATC 90, 1980 Honda ATC 110

got sand?

--
    If you have the stock OEM shock, I would not suggest having your shock rebuilt by Works or anyone else. Id buy a new Works shock, and have it vavled and sprung for your weight. Its about half the price of Elka's, and about double the price of a rebuild (which isnt going to do anything for you unless yours is blown anyways).

Progressive springs are a big help, but most people do not understand what they do. They are NOT stiffer. They are actually softer, and get stiffer the farther they are compressed. Progressive springs area great help if your springs are too stiff, as well as too soft. The adjustment for how stiff they start is done by preload spacer length. For your weight, you should start with the full spacers they send with them. Cut them down if necessary. Your front to rear height has a lot to do with how much spring you need. (Tall tires on the rear need more spring up front). I would not go above 15w fork oil. Killing your dampening and rebound is a poor way to "stiffen" the front end.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAZERONE22
    I've been searching for that Eibach spring today with no luck, can anyone steer me in the right direction...
    Thats cause this thread and that auction are from over HALF a YEAR AGO!?!?!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //