//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I just stole a Scrambler 400

--

I just stole a Scrambler 400

I didn't really steal it, but for the price I got it for it kinda feels like I did. It's a 99" and I paid $1200 for it. "Everything works" all it needed was a new battery. I cant wait to get it out on the trails. Just got the title work done today but I stll have to get my tag.
    Last edited by Muddy200x; 05-03-2006 at 05:45 AM.

--
    Dang, $1200 you did steal it! It's hearing about deals like that that keep me looking.
    1984 Yamaha YT 60 Tri Zinger(current project)
    1983 Yamaha YTM 200 (rear suspension kit)..... long term project
    2004 BMW R1150R
    1972 Honda CT 70
    2007 Lifan 110

--
    That is a steal. Welcome to my world. Talk to me when you're ready to Mod her up.
    J. Jonny D, --- Quad - Trike relations committee Chairman and all around swell guy.

Rides: '91 Warrior, '87 TW200, 1984 YTM225DX, 1984 ATC125M, '71 CL350 Scrambler

--
    I just traded my Scrambler (which I never put back together) for 11 trikes and 1 quad. All but one are parts machines but I think that I can build one or more from the lot of junkers
    1985 Honda ATC 350X
    2003 Yamaha Banshee
    2003 Polaris Sportsman 500

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what the hell happend.

84250r is offline Clean enough to eat a potpie off of Teaching quads a lesson
    --
    Nice score Muddy!
    R.I.P Raven

2006 Yamaha Banshee Special Edition
    1996 Honda CBR 600 F3

--
    Thanks guys, the wife is already calling it ours, Yeah right! I guess I'm just gonna have to make it "scary fast" so she wont want to ride it.

Wickedfinger,
    Thanks for all the scrambler info you've posted here in the past. Sure makes things easy with the search. Your definitly the guy I want to talk to about speeding this thing up.
    That said, I have a friend that rides a 400ex, although I haven't raced him yet I told him I'm gonna hand him his ass in a drag race Hehe, he just rolled his eyes at me. Well, now that I opened my mouth I'm gonna have to deliver. So, I guess I got a little work cut out for me. I know it has an fmf pipe but that's about all I know. I don't think it has had any clutch adjustment or anything. It seems to go like a bat out of hell then tapers off pretty quickly. Seems like it could use a little less low end and a little more top end. I'm going to replace the pipe that's on it (just because it's ugly and rusted) and pick up a cutch kit. My 200x is just gonna have to take the back seat and watch this one. So??? How best to spend my money? I'm not ready to spend a thousand bucks right now, but eventualy, over time, definitly.
    Last edited by Muddy200x; 04-27-2005 at 06:47 AM.

--

basics

Just like any other engine, start with the basics. Increase the air flow, and you can increase gas = more power. I'd get a good pipe(top end), either get a new carb, or modify the stock one, K&N filter, new reeds, and clutch kit. There are several manufacturers that specify in polaris parts. I like hotseat performance, but have not tried others. Wicked finger can give you recommendations on other manufacturers. Once the mentioned mods are done, things start to get spendy. Good luck, I love my polaris.
    83 YT 175
    85 ALT 125

toyota200x is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Get her looking like wickedfinger's and it will be awesome. Sorry.
    Owner of
    '98 klx 300r
    '85 250sx
    '82 185s

--
    I use everbody out there for Polaris - However, I am a big fan of AAEN performances stuff. They are world renown for their Snowmobile stuff and were the first manufacturer to offer specialty high performance parts for the Polaris quads. That being said - the first rule of thumb in getting performance out of any Polaris is to adjust the stock clutching. Unlike regular trannied ATV's, just adding a pipe will only make the engine rev quicker and give it more horsepower to the motors output shaft - It will not transmit into usable power, unless you modify the clutching to take advantage of it. The 378cc Fuji/Subaru/Wisconsen-Robin 2-stroke motor found in Polarises are all based off of Hondas 250R/FL400R motor (which is a good thing). They are so close, they actually take the same reeds. Polaris performance is also measured in Stages. I - IV. I - generally being regarded as being any state of tune up to porting the motor - IV - being full 470, 85+hp Powermaxx kits. Now for what I would recommend to you. The very first thing I would get is Hot Seats "Hypershift" clutch kit, #CK400-ATVP for the Scrambler 400L, Piped. This will include a dual angle helix, weights and heavier springs for the primary and secondary clutches. Sounds difficult to install, but it can be done very easily with std. hand tools and a torque wrench (very critical). After you install that, I would ditch that FMF lowend pipe (junk) and get AAENS amazing 10hp topend pipe. The hot setup is to keep the terrific FMF turbine core II silencer that comes with the FMF pipe and use that instead of the dumpy looking round "can" silencer the AAENS come with now. AAEN used to use Answer S/A's, but they went out of business. The next thing to get would be a Boyesen RAD valve reedcage or a V-Force 2 or 3 - I'm partial to Boyesen - but they are said to both give the motor nearly 4 - 5 more horsepower. After that, a Micky 38mm TMX Flatslider carb is the next mod and you will see great power delivery results from that and another 5 hp gain. I'm not a huge fan of un-corking airboxes since I ride in alot of mud, but you can open up the airbox a little by removing the stock snorkle - but - you MUST REJET. An aftermarket filter will help it breathe better too. Now, it is true that I have said before that in modding a Polaris, one upgrade leads directly into another and that you probably should do them all at the same time - but - I know funds never allow this, so stages are ok - except with the pipe and clutching. They absolutely need to be done in tandem. Now, stock for stock, the 400EX will probably win off the line unless you are in 4x4 and it will definitely take you on the top end since it has a nearly 10mph higher top speed than the stock Scramblers at @ 60mph. With just a pipe and clutching you will destroy a 400EX (and beat pretty much anything stock) off the line, win any 300ft, 1/8th or probably 1/4 mile drag by quad lengths and keep it there until he catches you around 65 mph - but that would be quite a way down the line, longer than any regulation drag race. Add a radvalve and the carb and it gets even better. Add porting and probably no regular fueled, even heavily modded thumper will beat you, at least in 300ft. Heres some websites: http://www.hotseatperformance.com/
    http://www.aaenperformance.com/ATV_Home.asp
    http://www.hotseatperformance.com/
    http://rittercycle.com/polaris.htm
    Last edited by Wickedfinger; 04-27-2005 at 12:25 AM.
    J. Jonny D, --- Quad - Trike relations committee Chairman and all around swell guy.

--
    IV 85+ HP? lol why thats 30 more then a CR500...f*** me thats nuts. Could and would a 4wd Scrambler's front CV joints and shafts hold up to that?
    My Feedback 85 TECATE 500 08 Honda 450R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenMachine
    IV 85+ HP? lol why thats 30 more then a CR500...f*** me thats nuts. Could and would a 4wd Scrambler's front CV joints and shafts hold up to that?
    Those full race 470 Powermaxx motors light so fast that they hit 80hp + in less than 2 seconds.

--
    I opened up the air box and took out the air cleaner. It appears to be a K&N(looks like k&n but not 100% sure). I also noticed that it seems to be missing the snorkel parts. Since I also ride in a lot of mud so I'm going to start looking for a replacement snorkel. Another thing I would like to do is raise the rear end a little so it sits more level. How would I go about doing that? Also, I couldn't find anything about hub fluids in my manual. The manual I have only goes up to 1995. I realize there have been design changes between 95' and 99' but the manual was free. I'm going to get a newer manual ASAP.
    BTW thanks for the help.

--
    [QUOTE=Muddy200x] Also, I couldn't find anything about hub fluids in my manual. QUOTE]

Nice looking scrambler, I think my 500 is great.

I just serviced my front wheel hubs last week and I'm sure they would be the same. They take atf type F fluid. Need to be checked with the hole on the side of the hub at the 4 or 8 oclock position. They hold very little fluid.
    I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I didn't have the ability!

--
    [QUOTE=smokinwrench]
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy200x
    Also, I couldn't find anything about hub fluids in my manual. QUOTE]

Nice looking scrambler, I think my 500 is great.

I just serviced my front wheel hubs last week and I'm sure they would be the same. They take atf type F fluid. Need to be checked with the hole on the side of the hub at the 4 or 8 oclock position. They hold very little fluid.
    You should also change the fluid every 6 months or sooner - this will keep the system working at its peak. As far as the shock goes, the only thing you can do is adjust the preload so you can eliminate some of the sag. The '99 has the concentric drive system, but is not the newer "10.5" Long travel shock. If your shock is sluggish, I have a good '99 Fox Shock if you are interested in it.
    It appears to be a K&N(looks like k&n but not 100% sure).
    The stock Polaris filter is a paper and foam element, like a K&N. If its Blue with a green prefilter, is a Polaris. If its Black, its a K&N.

250RNUT is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    80 horse out of a scrambler 400. c'mon

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //