PDA

View Full Version : Atc 110 making loud and weird noises!

3wheelers
09-05-2013, 10:34 PM
My 85 110 started making a rattling noise. So I just assumed it was the timing chain loose. I took apart the CDI assembly, down to the timing chain, then I just put it all back together after examining the timing chain. Then I started it up, and rode it like 3 feet, and it made a really loud screeching noise (sounded like a car with a bad belt) so I shut it off immediately. Then I started it back up and the sound was gone. Then I rode it a little, and it made the screeching noise a couple times but not as loudly. Then I rode it around a bit, and it was just making the rattling noise coming from the timing chain. Then when I slowed down to park it, then it died, then it made this weird knocking noise a few times. It sounded like it could have come from the rear end or the transmission. Like a Bering just got destroyed or somthething. Then I started it back up and it died. This time it didnt make any weird noises besides the timing chain. It has a horrible transmission, that is always slipping into neutral and shifts rough, with neutral between all gears. Lately it has sounded like there's a broken piece of metal inside the transmission just moving around in there. The bad transmission is always grinding also. So, my question is, what do you think that screeching noise was? And what about the loud knocking noise? And it won't start now, but I think it may be a carb issue. This is just my little beater 110. I ride it everyday and just beat it up. I'm trying to get what I can out of it before the transmission doesn't work at all. I rode it all day for 2 days straight before I had these problems. I had a good time on it while I could. I'm going to work on the carb and see if I can get it started again.

If you read the whole thing, thanks! Let me know what you think the screeching noise was, and the knocking noise was. Plus the fact that it won't start. (I think it's a carb issue because I cleaned te carb right before I rode it when it made these sounds.)

kb0nly
09-05-2013, 11:11 PM
With your shifting problems and explanation of a loose part in there, sounds like it broke the shift drum stopper and its bouncing around in there, the loud noise was probably it getting ground up against moving parts inside. I would say its time for a teardown!

3wheelers
09-06-2013, 11:24 AM
I don't want to tear it down untill I absalitely have to. I'm going to ride it untill it won't move. I have an extra transmission that has some issues. Maybe I can salvage some parts from it. Thanks for the help.

yaegerb
09-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Sounds to me like you possibly roasted a bearing from a chunk of transmision. Unless you want to spend more money than you have to by waiting for a bearing to completely fail, I would tear it down now. My guess is either a shifting fork is busted, gear tooth, etc. is your culprit. The fact that it won't start could be a number of factors. Carburetor could be one of them, but if you were running it for two days and then it completely dies after hearing a screaching belt sound, I doubt its the carb....when carbs fail, they don't make a sound ;) I would run a compression check and compare against OEM specs. I would also make sure valves are gapped appropriately.

briano
09-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Sounds like you don't need any advice from other people, but here's mine. Just keep riding it, I'm sure you will destroy it beyond your ability to repair, then part it out or haul to the scrap yard.

3wheelers
09-06-2013, 06:42 PM
I had just cleaned the carburetor before I started it up and it made the screeching noise. That's why I think the carb needs some work. I don't see any metal shavings or anything in the oil. I'm not going to spend any money either way, so I think I will run it until its done. I have another transmission that I can get parts out of. I built the top end on this thing, so I know everything there is good. Sounds like I destroyed a Bering in the transmission or something. Thanks for the responses!

3wheelers
09-06-2013, 08:21 PM
I figured out what the noises were! I lost my left Bering in the rear end. The axel wabbles all over the place! It's completely gone. It was all dried out, because the Bering didn't want to move much before it broke. Now my chain is really loose and falls off. My transmission is about to give up also. I have another 110 frame, it's an 84. It's a frame with a whole rear end on it. I'm going to take my engine and transmission and everything off my running 85 and put it on that frame. Instead of changing the Bering out. I also figured out why it wouldn't start before. It wouldn't start because the little piece of metal on the cam shaft that turns part of the Cdi fell out somehow. I rode it around a bunch today after fixing it. Now the chain just wants to fall off every 50 yards because of the Bering. So now I'm going to do a frame swap!