//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Craigslist Score of the Day, 86 Tri-Z, Calfab, Top Tank, ect.

--

Craigslist Score of the Day, 86 Tri-Z, Calfab, Top Tank, ect.

I can't begin to thank a fellow board member Blown331 enough. I was notified by him of a "3 Wheeler Z250 Hi-Flite". This was how the post was labeled. So I click on it and low and behold there is a pic of what looks to be a well worn Tri-z with a by god calfab and top mount tank. I asked Ryan if he was picking it up and he graciously turned it over to me if I wanted to purse it. Again I don't know how to thank him enough.

Now panic mode sets in. I just walked into work and was going to be there until 3 am. I called the seller and asked if I could be there first thing in the morning. He says " well, I'm not going to be around because I'm leaving at 4:15 am to set up my flea market booth.............wait did he just say 4:15? Hell I get off at 3 and could be there before 4. He's just as surprised as I am and agrees to meet me around 4 am. Just this once my goofy schedule worked out. I have missed so many killer deals to my poor schedule, but this day the Trike Gods smiled upon me.

It has a Hi-Flite seat and that was what the owner thought the make of the bike was. The older gentleman owned it for two years and never heard it run, had no idea what year it was, wasn't budging off his $600 asking price and let me know that up front which was no problem, because I wouldn't of been able to sleep had I tried to haggle him down. lol The clutch cover is cracked and the kicker is stuck in the down position.

I walk in see the Calfab and notice the clutch cover is cracked and the kicker is stuck in the down position, which he stated in the add. I hand over the money, he's gotta get to the flea market and the whole transaction takes less than 10 minutes. I didn't even know what the hell I actually had until I drove down the road and pulled into a gas station.

I get out and for some strange reason notice it has an 85 front end (who cares right), so I assume it's an 85.5, then I notice the Answer Silencer and unknown pipe, the axle looks to be extended +4, and the rear shock feels and looks sweet. So I pop the seat off and BAM, aftermarket air box for the top mounted tank. So then I think .....hmmm, I wonder if there is any markings on the cylinder and WHAMMO, FT engraved on the side of the cylinder Flotek I'm assuming????? Hey, where is the overflow bottle? On the left side just like an 86 and the serial number on the engine I think says 1RX?????

The bike is actually in really nice shape and obviously was someones pride and joy back in the day. I think its only fitting to preserve the patina, fix what needs to be fixed, and race the hell out of it.

--

--
    Congratulations bkm. What a score. All the tri-z goodies in one deal. Thats more than a score of the day
    87_T3________83_500x_______86_T3_______86_350x____ Tecate60_____88_T4

By loizlone at 2011-08-20

robertc is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Nice score, that calfab alone is worth what you paid!
    1986 ATC 250R
    1986 ATC 250SX
    1987 Big Red
    1984 ATC 70
    1983 ALT 50

oile is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Hey BKM you should see if you can get that air box repoped if you do I'd take 4 of them

--
    Quote Originally Posted by robertc View Post
    Nice score, that calfab alone is worth what you paid!
    And then some. Reading old posts, Mosh said he knew of 4 and two were trashed. Xrider I think has found one since then, so that makes mine #6 or so here on the board. I'm smart enough to know there is a vast trike world outside of 3ww and the internet, but I would have to guess there aren't very many around.

Olie, that was one of the first things I thought of and would be up for it as long as mine isn't destroyed in the making.

--
    Any thoughts on the pipe and cylinder engraving?

robertc is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    If that air box re-pop ever happens, count me in with oile!
    1986 ATC 250R
    1986 ATC 250SX
    1987 Big Red
    1984 ATC 70
    1983 ALT 50

xrider is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Nice score BKM! FT = Factoy Tri. That was Brett Driscoll's company, should be a strong motor. That makes the 5th Calfab for a Tri-z that I am aware of, and only the 3rd useable. Loving the airbox, the one that came with mine was broken, would love to get a repop if yours is in good shape. I'll have to snag some close up pictures of my swingarm to see if they are laid out the same. CALFAB was notorious for changing up their gusseting.

--
    Wow....freakin' awesome find! Congrats. Talk about a needle in a haystack!!
    HEY YOU WORM PICKERS..QUIT PICKIN' MY WORMS!
    Owner of the world' widest atc plow
    Builder of 3 wheeler accessories such as Big Red suspension sidecars,Big red's with full roofs, 3 wheeler elevators, and NOS powered 2 speed tri zingers

"Hold my beer.......watch this sh@# !!!!!!

--
    I was hoping you'd see this. The airbox has a few superficial cracks but should be able to be reproduced. I've never heard of Factory Tri, but I am a total Z newb. I'm curious to see the internal condition of the engine and the port work. The carb looks stock.

--
    Couldn't have happened to a better guy. That thing is just weird!! Driscoll cylinder,stock tires, 85 fr,stock carb..I can't see it well, but it looks it,and I 'll certainly take your word. Just so dang cool. There were no 85.5's. They are either 85 or 86 . I actually was gonna say I don't have any parts for you. But maybe in the stash I bought from Trizilla? If Eric sees this,do I have a clutch side of the engine for him!?? lol,,just the way it is.. Congrats Byran,soak it in,these deals don't come around very often!!
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

cochran is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Score for sure. Congrats!

--
    That's an answer expansion chamber as well. Heck of a score for sure!
    THE 80's RAGE! Currently owns:
    81, 85 Yamaha Tri Moto 125
    83 Yamaha Tri Moto 200 x2
    82,83 Yamaha Tri Moto 175 project
    85 Yamaha Tri Z 250
    84 Kawasaki Tecate 250
    84 Honda ATC 70
    85 Honda ATC 350X
    84 Honda ATC 250R
    (2) 84 Honda ATC 200x
    82, 83 Honda ATC 185s
    81 ATC 200
    Lots of other parts and bikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc007 View Post
    Couldn't have happened to a better guy. That thing is just weird!! Driscoll cylinder,stock tires, 85 fr,stock carb..I can't see it well, but it looks it,and I 'll certainly take your word. Just so dang cool. There were no 85.5's. They are either 85 or 86 . I actually was gonna say I don't have any parts for you. But maybe in the stash I bought from Trizilla? If Eric sees this,do I have a clutch side of the engine for him!?? lol,,just the way it is.. Congrats Byran,soak it in,these deals don't come around very often!!
    Yeah, crazy how it has a 85 front end. The rear tires are Ohtsu and look like oem 83-85 200x tires. I'm assuming the carb is stock?? Its a round slide mikuni, but I guess could be a larger size?? It's going to need to come apart. The transmission feels very sloppy and of course the side cover, but the kicker is tighter than a knats asse. Foot pegs look awesome, but there are no steering stops and other than that the frame looks very nice. The Calfab I also looks to be in great shape from what I can tell so far.

Totally crazy that I ended up with it. Once I go through the engine, I'm going to slap a set of fenders on it, mower tires on the rear, and see what it will do on the track. Lots of cleaning and original patina for this one.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //