PDA

View Full Version : 250R Front Brake Hose Rubbing

tufftoy
02-20-2010, 10:02 AM
The front brake hose on my 86 rubs the edge of the wheel. Does anyone else have this problem? Could it be routed wrong. It comes down the front of the fork and wraps around to the inside. It looks like it is right, but I could be wrong. I'm looking at getting a steel braided hose soon, and don't really want that to rub the wheel...any suggestions?

Mosh
02-20-2010, 10:29 AM
There is a clamp guide that bolts on the lower fork tube, and also another retainer that bolts on the caliper to keep the hose tucked tight to the fork tube.
Do you have these on your fork?
If not, it will rub.You will need to get the hose retainers to solve the problem.

Here is the best pic I have showing the guide.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m40/cosmicquads/blackedout3.jpg

tufftoy
02-20-2010, 10:33 AM
I have the clamp on the front of the fork, not sure about the one on the caliper though...I will have to check. Thanks for the reply...you wouldn't happen to have a picture would you?

JohnR.
02-20-2010, 10:34 AM
There is a bracket that attaches to the upper bolt of the front caliper and wraps between the fork and the wheel. Its kind of like a steel shell that covers the brake hose.

It's #18 in this diagram. Its not a great shot of it but it might give you the idea. I can take a pic of mine when I go out on the ice today if you'd like.

http://webservices.motorsportdealers.com/parts/partImages/HOM/2/14HA2F/ILLUST/HA28F/0800.Gif

One thing I'd recommend when doing a stainless swap is to get some fuel hose from the auto parts store that has an I.D. just big enough to fit the braided hose into. Then cut off a piece the same length as the upper bracket that bolts to the fork, slice it lengthwise so you can wrap it around the braided hose and then clamp it in place. That will keep just enough tension on it to stop it from flopping around and chewing up your fork or fender or coming in contact with the wheel/tire. The braided line acts like a hacksaw when it comes in contact with aluminum or plastic. I'll snap a pic of it on mine if you'd like.

John

Mosh
02-20-2010, 10:36 AM
I just uploaded a pic.Look above in my post.
On mine, I never ran the caliper guide,and had no problems.The fork guide was tight enough to keep the hose in a fixed posistion.
I will check If I have a pic of the caliper guide.

EDIT!

Yeah number 18 is the one you need that JohnR uploaded.
It bolts to the caliper and runs behind the fork tube.
Most guys do a front brake job,and remove that and forget to put it back on.That is probably what happened to you.
You could always zip tie it tight to the fork tube until you get your braided hose set-up.

JohnR.
02-20-2010, 10:38 AM
I have seen guys wrap a zip tie around the fork and hose to hold the hose down. Its kind of ghetto but it works. It'd be better to track down a proper guide but they seem to be NLA from Honda.

Mosh
02-20-2010, 10:42 AM
The whole guide kit is usually on ebay for cheap.
Try finding the ebay user Cycleguy1979 in Surprize AZ.
You can contact him thru email, and he will sell parts outright without an auction for a fair price.He usually has that stuff laying around.

tufftoy
02-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Awesome guys...you always come through! Gonna check mine, probably throw a zip tie on there until I get what I need. Again thanks for the info!!!

Super nice looking trike MOSH!!!

Red Rider
02-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Tufftoy, here's a couple pics of #18. I'm glad you're trying to route your brake line the right way. I've seen way too many 85-86 R's & 86-87 Tecate's with the brake line routed around the outside of the forkleg, which doesn't look sano at all.

tufftoy
02-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Yeah, I doesn't look like have that little guy on there. Does it attach to one of the caliper mounting bolts? Went with the ol' zip tie trick this time, took it for a spin and it held, so until I can get a hold of one, so ghetto it is!

Thanks guys!

Red Rider
02-21-2010, 02:17 AM
Does it attach to one of the caliper mounting bolts? Went with the ol' zip tie trick this time, took it for a spin and it held, so until I can get a hold of one, so ghetto it is!

Thanks guys!Yeah, the top caliper mounting bolt goes through the brake line guide, then the fork leg, and screws into the brake caliper mount. Glad you got it fixed, even though it's only temporary & ghetto. You gottta do what you gotta do to ride!

tufftoy
02-21-2010, 02:57 AM
You gottta do what you gotta do to ride!

You speak the truth my man!!

JohnR.
02-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Glad to hear its sorted out. I'm happier to hear that you don't plan on leaving the hose ghetto tied to the fork leg. :lol:

John