PDA

View Full Version : 250SX tank decals

fabiodriven
09-06-2012, 02:51 PM
I sent a message to this guy a couple of days ago- http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-ATC-250SX-Gas-Tank-decals-2pc-sticker-set-/180955061700?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a21c31dc4&vxp=mtr

We've got a ride coming up and I'd like to have my decals ready for the ride. He hasn't responded to my message. Any chance the seller is a member here and maybe he's looking or someone knows him?

Thanks.

wonderboy
09-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Well, I kinda hope he isn't a member hear... because I have to say his decals are not very good... in my opinion.

I received a complete set from him from E-bay for my 86 SX. Among a few issues I have with these decals, the worst is the stripping in the color. To get a good idea of what I mean, put an almost empty cartridge in your inkjet printer and then print a photograph... my tank decals were just ugly.

On the flip side, he completely refunded my purchase price and shipping, so customer service was top notch. However, the product is not up to OEM quality.

I'll try to get a picture of my tank decals so you can see what I mean.

wonderboy
09-06-2012, 10:16 PM
So, am I being picky? YES. But to me, this isn't acceptable... (you have to click on the picture and zoom).

Also, the graphics appear to be raster graphics, instead of vector graphics. The solid red isn't solid red, it is noisy like a grainy photograph.
...and the red isn't even close to the original color.

badass350x
09-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Wow I do see what your saying, not good....

aldochina
09-07-2012, 12:50 AM
what you get a different tank fabio?

fabiodriven
09-07-2012, 12:13 PM
That is some awesome info, thank you Wonderboy!

what you get a different tank fabio?

I did Rory. Mine started leaking from a pin hole at Trikefest. It needs a whole new paint job now. For the time being I'm going to run a plastic Clarke tank I picked up from Bill. I'd like to put some decals on that one as well.

So does anyone have anybody they can recommend for some quality decals?

atc007
09-07-2012, 01:05 PM
I was pretty sure that stuff was Kiwi,but couldn't say for sure. As what I have had has came w other machines,and it is nowhere near what it should be!! To say the least. This is where you want to get all your decals you can,,,however,they don't have the tanks yet : ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-1986-1987-ATC250SX-TOOLBOX-REPRODUCTION-WARNINGS-DECALS-GRAPHICS-/300619044790?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45fe4a97b6#ht_1303wt_1189

So,,I would say Harlan they speak of on here,not sure of his ebay name,but he sells on there. Good luck!

MRSOUND
09-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Maybe give Blue27 a shot? I've seen his work and it's pretty top notch as well. I know many people on here have purchased signs (myself included) and I know there was a recent thread on here where he created a new decal for someone? Plenty positive feedback on his feedback thread. I will be "employing" him to recreate my KLT 185 decal set that no one else has available.

fabiodriven
09-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Hey, great suggestions guys! Thanks a lot!

If anyone else has any, please speak up!

atc007
09-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Got this from another post.. Hope it works.. Harlan Lysne's eBay ID is member739346 or you can email him at hjlysne@charter.net

fabiodriven
09-10-2012, 04:05 PM
I emailed Harlan, the email address Bill posted is indeed correct. He is shipping me out the two tank decals for $27 shipped. I'm expecting some nice decals as Harlan's reputation precedes him. However he did say that these decals WILL NOT work with a plastic tank. I was curious if they would work if I added perforations to the decals before application. I've applied decals before that are designed not to bubble on plastic tanks and they were perforated. They stuck on well and are actually still sticking to the tank today. I emailed Harlan back to ask his thoughts on the perforation idea but I've yet to hear back from him.

I shall keep you all informed and thank you all for the replies.

jeswinehart
09-10-2012, 08:19 PM
I red coated (sealed) a red plastic Tecate gas tank in order to get the no perforated decals to stick. They stayed stuck very well.
TecateDan should be able to give further update about that tank since he has owned it for a couple of years now,,,,

john

atc007
09-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Whoa now,,,,lol.. We cannot, no way nohow.. Have Fabio,,Owning,,a sealed,decalled,,reliable,,Plastic tank !!! Lol.. I await the report this time next year. Of course,,it's not painted though......

nstyle73
09-10-2012, 11:04 PM
I have a set of Harlan's 86 250SX tank decals on a Red-Coat Sealed plastic tank. The decals have held up, with some air bubble pockets, but the Red Coat did not. That's all I want to say about that.

fabiodriven
09-11-2012, 10:15 AM
I'm looking for suggestions on what I can use to perforate the decals. I want tiny hole but they have to be punched out, like cookie-cutter style. I don't want to just pop nails through it and then have little shards hanging there. I want nice, clean, even holes. If I have to build a little "tool" or something with a bunch of hole punchers on it in order to get the line I'm looking for that's fine.

I've been thinking about it but I can't think of what would be good to use to make the holes....

rdlsz24
09-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I use Harlan anytime I need decals. He even had repros for the TRX 250R

Rob

fabiodriven
09-12-2012, 08:05 PM
TecateDan came up with this super high-tech solution to my punch problem. I just ordered one of these- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Leather-Hole-Punch-Hand-Pliers-Belt-Holes-Punches-Plastic-Rubber-New-/230697221300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b6a03cb4

I'll draw a grid on the back of the decal and then commence punching.

I know you guys are all on the edge of your seats for this one...

schneed
09-13-2012, 02:53 PM
I use Harlan Lysne for all my decals. He also said to me that he does not recommend putting the decals on a plastic tank, so I decided not to get them for my 250sx plastic tank. :( Please keep us updated with the hole punched decals i.e. still bubble or don't bubble or no problems or fell off etc

fabiodriven
09-18-2012, 12:16 PM
I opened the mail box yesterday and the only two items in there were the decals from Harlan and the hole puncher. If that isn't a good sign I don't know what is.

First of all, Harlan's decals seem great. The true test of time is to be determined, but they appear to be top quality right off the bat. Whether or not these decals end up sticking to the plastic tank is also to be determined, but the outcome is not to be held against Harlan if they do not stick. He clearly stated to me that they would not stick on a plastic tank at the time of purchase. What I am trying here is an experiment.

For the sake of my fellow enthusiasts, I did two different hole ratios on the two tank decals. On the first one I spaced the holes an inch apart. On the second one I did the holes spaced at an inch, then I punched out another hole in the middle of the inch-spaced holes. What I am trying to determine is the least amount of holes needed in order for this to work (assuming they stick).

Simply draw out your hole spaces and start punching!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20120918_093905.jpg

I quickly figured out the my hole puncher wasn't going to have the reach to get to the inner holes. What I did then was remove the punch piece from the punching tool and I punched out the holes I couldn't reach using a hammer. The punch was press-fit with a slight taper so you can just press it back into the tool when you're done. A quick tip for when you're doing this- Keep a small nail or pick close by to clean the little punched-out pieces from the punch. They build up in there and get stuck, thereby causing sloppy holes ;). Our goal here is nice, clean holes. Not sloppy ones. :D

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20120918_093933.jpg

Here is the left side with the inch-spaced holes.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20120918_100428.jpg

And this is the right with the inch-spaced holes and the extra holes in between.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20120918_110915.jpg

The ultimate test here is time. There will be gas in this tank tomorrow and it will remain with gas in it for some time after that. I'll keep everyone up to date.

Big Mike
09-18-2012, 12:57 PM
I think that will work, but I might have used something like this instead, I know they make something like this with sharp barbs

ezmoney1979
09-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Our goal here is nice, clean holes. Not sloppy ones. :D

Now remember guys, this line of reasoning is not just exclusive to Fabios decal project :beer

fabiodriven
09-18-2012, 02:02 PM
I think that will work, but I might have used something like this instead, I know they make something like this with sharp barbs

That looks like it could work, but I could see issues with getting all of those holes to punch by just rolling that thing over the decal. It actually took a good whack to get a nice hole punched cleanly through. These decals are thick (like they should be) and have paper on both sides of them, not just one side. That's two thin layers and one thick layer to penetrate. That thing looks like it's made for cookie dough or Play-Doh or something. Good thinking though.

Now remember guys, this line of reasoning is not just exclusive to Fabios decal project :beer

Hey, no joking! This is serious, serious business here man. Somebody's gonna end up weeping if you keep that up! This ain't no boys club man, c'mon! ;)

Big Mike
09-18-2012, 02:25 PM
It is actually meant for pizza dough, haha. But I have seen them before that have nice sharp barbs on them but dont remember what they were for. Might not work like you said. There has to be a way to make em perforated like the one I have seen on your tecate tanks before Fabio.

dougspcs
09-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Is there something about plastic tanks that causes bubbles to form after decals are laid on??

Is that why all this is needed??

What a shame to have to mutilate those beautiful decals.

Big Mike
09-18-2012, 04:49 PM
With the plastic tanks, the gas fumes can seep through the plastic and actual melt the adhesive underneath the decal causing them to fall off. It can prevented by either punch the decal full of holes like above or coating the inside of the tank.

aldochina
09-18-2012, 05:26 PM
they make a nice tool for perforating wall paper before steaming/spraying with remover to help penetrate behind the paper. May work good for this application??

fabiodriven
09-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Is there something about plastic tanks that causes bubbles to form after decals are laid on??

Is that why all this is needed??

As Mike said, the plastic fumes seep through the plastic and bubble the decals right off the tank. I've tried putting them on anyways and they last a few weeks, a couple months at best. I'm not positive this is going to work. I don't know if the companies selling "plastic friendly" decals have a special adhesive that's resistant to gas or not. I'm hoping they do not. The one obvious difference between "plastic friendly" decals and regular decals that I do know for certain is the perforations. I'm hoping that's the only thing that's different between the two, but we shall see.

What a shame to have to mutilate those beautiful decals.

They're just re-pops, not OEM. You can buy em by the bushel if you want to. It's far from mutilation, it's a required modification.

I'm gonna have Dan take a couple pics of his perforated decals I put on his Tecate probably a year or so ago and post them.

TecateDan
09-18-2012, 08:21 PM
I'll get pics up but not till tomorrow.

TecateDan
09-20-2012, 08:13 PM
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb468/danielvpope/IMAG0683_zpsd0eaa270.jpg

jeswinehart
09-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Interesting thread ! Cutting edge indeed ~ sorry, couldn't resist.

I would highly recomend to wipe the tank surface mounting area down with rubbing alcohol priour to slapping the emblems on.

fabiodriven
10-18-2012, 06:49 PM
One month down. So far so good!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20121018_183114.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/fabiodriven/IMG_20121018_183103.jpg

fabiodriven
01-15-2013, 12:16 PM
4 months now, so far so good.

TecateDan
01-15-2013, 02:02 PM
wash that thing will you!!!!

djm0242
01-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Pouncing wheels hardened steel- with some patience and a bit of force maybe... It looks like what you did is working!

fabiodriven
03-11-2013, 03:05 PM
OK, we're at 6+ months now. The decals have started to bubble a little bit, but not bad. I just work the bubbles to the closest hole and squeeze them out.

For future reference, I would do even more holes in the decals. This is working, but it could breath just a tad better.

schneed
04-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks Fabio for the updates. I did the same thing to my 250sx decals and I had good results so far. They have been on for several months and I store the sx outside in MN!

167163 167165