PDA

View Full Version : methanol injection

hancho
09-13-2004, 02:38 PM
has any one done this. I just orderd the Dial a Jet and am going to inject methanol on my 250r atc. It has a ESR 310 kit now and a ESR pipe. when i take it to the sand it always runs to hot, with the methanol it should lower temps some. and also be good for three or four HP. has anyone done this?

cliff2302
09-13-2004, 03:17 PM
how are you going to inject it with a dial-a-jet? to inject it you would probably be able to modify a hilborn set up made for a motorcyle or something, but you are going to need to get a proper fuel pump, someting that will run off the crank i would imagine.

Racedude48
09-13-2004, 03:48 PM
couldn't you put a pulse fitting in the jug, we put one in to run a fuel pump on a CR 125. that could run the injector.

Curtis-Tecate3
09-13-2004, 04:32 PM
When running methanol you would run it directly through the carb instead of gasoline. The jet sizes are approx. doubled and some tuners actually sell carbs modified for alcohol/methanol use. Also some rubber carb parts dont get along very well with alcohol/methanol. Your bike will be VERY thirsty and get terrible fuel consumption. You also have to flush out your fuel system after every ride with gasoline.

The dial a jet is just a tuning aid for your jetting system and not a means of injection. I am personally not sold on the dial-a-jet system. Have you ever seen it run on any professional racing 2 stroke of any kind or series? I have not.... Just my $0.02.

Curtis.

hancho
09-13-2004, 04:47 PM
This is what I am talking about it came from (http://www.altimizer.com/daj.html)

Does your engine require aviation gas or other high test fuels? Maybe not. Dial-A-Jet can be installed on your carburetors and used to induct many types of fuels or fuel additives such as octane boosters, alcohol (methanol), alcohol blended with nitro, propylene oxide, etc. One of the lowest cost, user-friendly fuel boosters is alcohol (methanol). This is a very easy and inexpensive way to raise your octane while lowering engine-operating temperatures by approximately 150 to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Dyno tests have shown a 5% to 6% increase in horsepower. Installation is very easy. Install a set of Dial-A-Jets in the conventional manner. Now you will need a small tank mounted under your hood for the alcohol. The tank should have a fuel shut off. A remote float bowl with a needle and seat will also be needed to handle the fuel from the tank to the Dial-A-Jet. Simply hook the Dial-A-Jets to the remote float bowl and you are ready to run. This is very simple and effective, it can be used on almost any engine to safely boost performance and raise horsepower while lowering temperatures

370banshee
09-13-2004, 04:59 PM
they were all talking bout runnign it all teh time on alky. thats what you should do. your looking at bout 30-40% HP gain

cliff2302
09-13-2004, 05:17 PM
you would never gain %30-%40 HP by switching fuels unless you switch from 87 octane to %90 nitro. The only reason ou gain HP by using alky is from the lower temp. alky actually has a lower heat of fusion than gasoline, so it is less potent in equal ammounts, which is why you need such larger jets.

OldSchoolin86
09-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Dyno tests have shown a 5% to 6% increase in horsepower. Installation is very easy. Install a set of Dial-A-Jets in the conventional manner. Now you will need a small tank mounted under your hood for the alcohol. The tank should have a fuel shut off. A remote float bowl with a needle and seat will also be needed to handle the fuel from the tank to the Dial-A-Jet. Simply hook the Dial-A-Jets to the remote float bowl and you are ready to run. This is very simple and effective, it can be used on almost any engine to safely boost performance and raise horsepower while lowering temperatures

That's a lot of work for 2hp.

03 ORANGE SHEE
09-13-2004, 08:25 PM
cliff is right, i burn about three gallons an hours just from 300 ft runs,and i gained over .6 tenths in 300ft by going drunk!

hancho
09-13-2004, 08:42 PM
I am mostly doing it so it will run cooler the HP is just a plus. When I run in the sand it could be 110F outside This is cheep insurance on the money I spent on the 310 kit