PDA

View Full Version : New carb installed T3 *General Jetting Help Needed*

BigGreenMachine
12-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Ordered a special set Mikuni TMX from Sudco not long ago and finially got it installed on my 85 T3. It rips, really feel the difference in bottom and topend power too.

The carb came with a 370 main, 3.0 cutaway on the slide, and a 20 pilot, not sure on the needle now (would have to check again). The thing that had me puzzled was the #20 pilot jet. Why so small? I mean the JWR book recommends a 40 pilot with the TM flatslide jettin specs, the stock 34mm carb had a 40 in it so why did they do everything else right but put that tiny pilot in? Any way I warmed her up, took a while with the 0* weather and got her up to operating temp. The 20 seemed lean, she didnt smoke near as much as with the 40 and stock carb, never did a chop though. But after the motor was hot I stuck the 40 pilot in there. Now it isnt as crisp but my piece of mind is back to where it should be. Rides good and doesnt load up. Plug chops to be done when it isnt raining.

Also installed my 10 dollar cast aluminum wheel spacers on my 84 hubs, pretty wide and really stable while sideways. The old studs were really easy to tap out with a brass and ball peen hammer.

Pics later the week when the sun shines and the rain stops.:lol: Newfoundland b'y...:w00t:

1984kxtTECATE
12-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Sweet, I just picked up a Kehien 34mm Flatslide for mine, I still need to get the correct twist throttle to make it work, but those Mikunis that came on them stock are just wore out, mine had a bent needle, and a couple wore out parts on it. You get any porting done yet?

BigGreenMachine
12-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Yah my old carb was worn, choke was fubar too.

The cylinder is off at CWR to be ported, Corey Sprock recommended them. Should get it Christmas time.

dreadhed
12-15-2005, 05:46 PM
I got a dumb question. Who made the T3?

ATCWRENCH
12-15-2005, 05:54 PM
kawasaki tecate a.k.a. T3 A1-1984, A2-1985, B1-1986, B2-1987

dreadhed
12-15-2005, 06:28 PM
A2 etc. is the model name?

BigGreenMachine
12-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Kawasaki KXT 250 A2 Tecate is how it goes I think, unsure of where the A2 goes.

BigGreenMachine
12-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Some general jetting questions and stuff for you guys now. Thinking that the #20 pilot jet that was originally there was just fine in the carb. *Has anyone ever burned up a 250 two stroke because the pilot was too small?* I fouled two plugs tonight after the bike was run up to operating temp, never fouled one on the woods ride today but at 1/4 throttle you could hear the bike load up on fuel....Thats with the #40 pilot jet from my stock carb installed. Back to 20 tomorrow morning and plug chops are on my to do list.

going4broketecate85
12-16-2005, 12:37 AM
This is what I would do if I were trying to find the right pilot jet. This comes from Trinity Racing for a Mikuni carb.
For the pilot Jet. Start with the one in the carb. You must first locate the air screw on the side of the carb( this is not the large idle adjust screw but the small inset screw). If the screw is to the rear of the slide ( closer to the air filter) it adjusts air. If it is to the front (towards the motor) it adjusts fuel. I will deal with the one that adjusts air since it is the most common. Start by turning the air screw all the way in, then back out 2 turns. Start the bike and keep it running till it warms up. Set the bikes idle screw (the large one) so the bike idles some what. Now turn the air screw clockwise slowly until it's all the way in. If the motor continues to climb all the way till the screw bottoms, the pilot is to lean. The actual result should be it gets to rich and dies. If you have to screw the air screw more then 2 turns out to get a good idle it's to rich. To achieve a good clean idle you should be between 1 to 2 turns out. The opposite of this is true if you are adjusting gas.

Hope this helps some! Good luck!

BigGreenMachine
12-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Installed the #20 today and it runs good. Set the airscrew at 2 turns out and rode it hard all day without a problem. Plug is dark brown.