PDA

View Full Version : why no fire

ducati998
03-26-2008, 10:41 PM
i have a 185 i pull and pull and pull and no fire. I have changed the spark plugs and nothing. I have checked to make sure the timimg is correct and is, the compression is 117 psi and when i put fuel down the spark plug hole and pull over still the same nothing. Seems like it doesnt even want to fire.. Today i changed the ignition coil with another and nothing now i am stumped. Any help would be muchly appreciated , one other thing i checked to see if both valves were moving and they seem not to be sticking.

Twilight
03-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Im in the same boat as you, I had my 200e running, now it wont start with; compression/timing/spark.

Yours might need more compression, like 120-150

300rman
03-26-2008, 11:03 PM
make sure you have spark. hold the plug against the head and have someone else pull the rope while you look to see if it is making a spark.

sounds like a spark problem, as fuel in the cylinder doesnt even let it pop.

also, maybe the valve timing is 180 degrees off?

and 117lbs compression seems real weak to me.

chavo80
03-26-2008, 11:05 PM
check the ground wires on the coil pack and make sure your get spark>gl

bigreddaddy
03-27-2008, 02:32 AM
Does the compression release work? I have a 200s I'm working on and it won't start unless the lever is down (valve closed).

ducati998
03-27-2008, 11:18 AM
yes decompresiion lever is down and it seems to workand to pull over when lever is down and easy to pull when lever is up.

bigreddaddy
03-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah thats the way its supposed to work. The easiest way to check spark is to use a volt/ohm meter and check voltage at the plug wire. See if you get a reading every time you pull start it (should be around 12v-14v). If you do then you know your getting spark. If you don't have a meter then hold the plug against the motor while someone else pulls the starter. You should see a nice blue spark.
Also, make sure your on/off switch is working correctly and check the GROUND WIRE where its connected to the frame.