//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Scored Two Honda Big Red's

TrickShot is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Smile Scored Two Honda Big Red's

I saw an ad listed in the local paper for two Big Red three wheelers for $500. I called and he didn't know what kind of Big Reds he had other then they were shaft drive. I was hoping one or both was a 250ES, so took a short drive to check them out. Turns out they are both 84 200ES machines and after looking them over I picked them up anyway. He said both ran when parked a couple years ago, but we all know how that can go. The better looking one is complete with great fenders. I have a front rack I'll be adding to it as well. The other one looks a little rough but other then fenders it doesn't seem too bad. I have a complete 83 Big Red 200E parts machine with undamaged rear fenders to replace the broken ones. He also included a new Maiers front fender and a extra tank which has seen better days. It is missing a few rear brake parts and needs the forks replaced or rebuilt. I'm thinking I'll get them running to sell or trade out for a Big Red 250ES, which I was originally looking for. I only had a short time to look them over before getting back on road for work, so now I just have to get back home and get them fixed up..

Last edited by TrickShot; 05-09-2011 at 11:52 AM.

--
    Looks like a great deal for 500 bucks they are in decent shape. If you are going to use the fenders from the 200e you will have to cut a piece out of the left one to fit around the transmission of the 200es. You could probably use the old one for a template it shouldn't be too bad of a job. Good luck

--
    Nice score. Im lovin' the one I picked up a few weeks back. But, like you, Im kinda wanting a 250es.

TrickShot is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Yes, I've read where I would have to trim the left fender in other threads, so that shouldn't be a problem. I was thinking about passing on the deal at first, but figured I could get them running, double my money, and get a decent 250ES. But there is the chance I'll just keep them, and get back to hunting down a 250ES when I get funds back up. After all it's always nice to have some extra wheels around.

--
    HAHA we ran into a guy that was in is late 60 early 70's when we were at hatfeild and mcCoy trails(riding ower big reds) that was for newyork area that said he still had 2 big reds that he rode along time ago . I wounder if it was the same guy

--
    @big specht: I don't think it would have been, as the guys I picked these up from was 40ish, though the good news could be that there are 2 more Big Reds hiding out some place yet.

I was wondering about the forks on these two though. The one without the front rack, has "Honda" on the fork brace, and the one with the rack has "All Terrain Cycle". From 200ES machines I have since seen have "Honda" like the one. Has the other fork been swapped out at sometime, and replaced from another machine? The one without the rack was shows the date 12/83 on the neck. The one with the front rack shows 9/83 on the neck. Both forks appear the same to me other then the wording on them, unless I'm missing something.

--
    I could possibly be making this up but I think it was just the ones that were sold in the U.S that had Honda and the Canada/International ones have all terrain cycle on them. All three of my 200es here in Canada have the words atc on them. Maybe somebody else knows if that is correct or not.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //